Vizio Smart TVs feature award-winning technology and the best picture quality available in the affordable TV market. SmartCast, the operating system that powers or runs the devices, is included.
By integrating intelligent technologies such as Alexa, Google Home, and Apple Homekit, you can use a Vizio TV to access your favorite apps, cast from your phone, and control your viewing experience.
However, despite their advanced systems, Vizio TVs occasionally fail to function properly and generate numerous errors when used. Many Vizio TV user complaints revolve around the device’s screen constantly flickering, SmartCast failing to load, and the TV turning on but not displaying images.
Fortunately, Vizio TVs come with a user manual that you can consult to find a solution to your problem. If that isn’t an option, then this guide will be useful.
VIZIO TV TROUBLESHOOTING GUIDE
Here are some common Vizio TV problems and how to troubleshoot them.
Get Big Discounts for Internet, Phone, Mobile, and WIFI.
Up to 50% off
Toll-Free Number 1-855-202-7237
(Xfinity, Spectrum, COX, Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, etc.)
1. THE TV TURNS ON THEN RIGHT BACK OFF
If your Vizio TV repeatedly turns on and off, try the following:
- On your VIZIO remote, press the menu button.
- Select System.
- Change the Power Mode to Eco Mode.
If none of the above works, try the following:
- On your VIZIO remote, press the menu button.
- System should be chosen.
- Choose CEC.
- Turn off the CEC setting.
Additionally, ensure that the power cord is securely connected to the wall outlet. If that doesn’t work, you might want to consider factory resetting your TV. Follow the steps below:
- On your VIZIO remote, press the menu button.
- Select a system.
- Choose Reset & Admin.
- Reset to Factory Settings should be selected.
You’ll have to re-set your television. However, if you do not receive a fix, contact Vizio TV support.
2. VIZIO TV SCREEN IS FLICKERING
To repair a flickering Vizio TV screen, disconnect all connected cables from both the TV and the connecting devices and wait 30 seconds before reconnecting them. Alternatively, check your Advanced Video Settings in the menu and disable the following settings:
- Lighting in the Environment
- Controlling the Backlight
- Luma Adaptive Advanced
If the TV continues to flicker, try the following:
- Turn off the television.
- Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
- While the TV is still unplugged from the wall, press and hold the power button for 30 seconds.
- Turn off the power supply.
- Reconnect the TV to the power outlet.
- Restart the television.
If the option does not work, try a factory reset or contact support. If you have any technical knowledge, you can follow the steps in the video below:
Alternative Video: How To Fix Vizio TV Not Working Properly?
- Read: Xfinity Stream Roku Not Working: 10 Easy Possible Fixes
- How to Fix YouTube Playback Error? [6 Methods]
- Did YouTube Cancel TV Free Trial? See More
3. THERE IS NO SOUND ON THE TV, BUT THERE ARE PICTURES.
If your Vizio TV’s built-in speakers aren’t producing any sound, try the following:
- Make sure your TV’s volume is set to something other than zero.
- Check to see if you have the TV muted.
- Check that the cables connecting your devices to the TV are properly connected and secured.
- Disconnect and reconnect the cables from the back of the TV and the source device, particularly the HDMI cables.
- When reconnecting the cables, make sure there are no damages or cuts in them.
Another option is to turn on the television speakers.
- On your VIZIO remote, press the Menu button.
- To highlight Audio or Audio settings, use the arrow keys.
- Click OK.
- The switch next to the TV Speaker setting should be turned on. However, if it is turned off, press OK to turn it on.
- If none of the above solutions work, you should seek professional help.
4. THE MENU IS NOT WORKING
This problem can be solved in a variety of ways:
- Restart the TV and try again.
- The Vizio TV must be factory reset.
This step will require you to use the TV’s buttons.
- On the TV, press and hold the Volume Down and Input buttons.
- Wait a few seconds for a message to appear on the TV screen.
- When the message appears, press and hold the Volume Down and Input buttons for ten seconds.
- Another message will appear informing you that the memory has been cleared and that the reset will take place shortly.
- The television will turn on.
- After the process is completed, a Welcome screen will appear.
You must finish the setup and try to access the menu.
5. THE TV TURNS ON BUT DOESN’T SHOW PICTURES
.If you don’t see a picture:
- Wait a few seconds after pressing the power button on your remote.
- Your television is not turning on. Examine your device’s power light. When you turn on the TV, you will notice a white light or an LED indicator light that will fade out. If the light turns on, your television is also on.
- On the remote, press the menu button. If the menu appears, your TV is in good working order. The issue could be caused by the external devices you have connected to the TV.
- Check that your TV is set to the correct input channel for the device you’re attempting to use. To cycle through the available channels, use the remote’s Input button.
- Make sure that all of the cable connections are secure.
Here’s a step-by-step guide for repairing a Vizio TV that doesn’t display images but has working sound and backlight. It has more solutions for you to try.
6. BLACK SCREEN OF DEATH
The black screen of death can be caused by a power supply board failure in one of your Vizio TVs. However, you can try the following troubleshooting steps:
- Check the connections and power: Make sure the power cable is securely connected.
- Follow the steps in section two above to perform a power cycle on your television.
- Perform a flashlight test by shining a bright flashlight on your TV while standing at least two inches away from it. If you can see an image, the device’s inverter board is faulty. Replace it with the help of a professional.
- Perform a sound test: Turn on the TV and listen for any noises or play a video that makes a lot of noise. If you can hear sound, your TV hardware needs to be replaced.
To resolve the problem, you may need to replace the inverter board or power board. You should ideally hire a professional to do it for you.
7. SMARTCAST WON’T LOAD
When the Vizio TV SmartCast does not load or is unavailable, you can try the following fixes:
- Check to see if your TV is connected to the internet. Also, make certain that your internet connection is stable and that the speed is not zero.
- Switch your TV to HDMI 1 and wait for your programming to load or a “No Signal” message to appear.
- When the programming loads or the “No Signal” message appears, press the Menu button on your VIZIO Remote and choose System > Reset & Admin > Soft Power Cycle > Yes.
- Your television will turn off and then back on.
- The Information Bar will appear.
- Wait until the bar vanishes.
- Change your TV from HDMI 1 to SmartCast after 30 seconds.
If SmartCast still does not load after the above steps, reset your Vizio TV, and then follow the instructions in this SmartCast troubleshooting guide.
8. VIZIO TV WON’T CONNECT TO WI-FI
.Follow the steps below to troubleshoot Wi-Fi connection issues on your Vizio TV:
- Check that your internet connection is stable. This can be accomplished by connecting to the internet with a different device.
- Turn on DHCP settings by pressing the Menu button on the remote > selecting Network > Manual Setup > DHCP > pressing the arrow button to turn DHCP on if the option is off.
- Restart all devices. The router, modem, and Vizio TV are among them.
- Restore your Vizio TV to its original factory settings. You will then need to go through the network connection setup process once more. Enable WPA-PSK [TKIP] while doing so.
If the TV does not connect to Wi-Fi, try again with a wired Ethernet connection. For more information, see our comprehensive guide to resolving Vizio TV internet problems.
9. TV WON’T TURN ON WITH REMOTE
If your remote isn’t working when you try to use it, try the following:
- Remove any obstructions from the front of the television.
- Replace the batteries.
- Power cycle the remote > Remove the batteries > Press each button on the device at least once > Replace the batteries > Check to see if the unit works
- Change the Vizio TV remote.
If your remote is in good working order, consider powering down your Vizio TV:
- Remove the power cord from the wall outlet.
- Hold down the power button for five seconds.
- Reconnect the power cord and turn on the television.
Try using the remote to power the TV.
10. TV WON’T STAY OFF
You can attempt to resolve this problem by following the troubleshooting steps outlined below:
- Check that the remote’s power button is not stuck.
- Turn off CEC by pressing the menu button on the remote > selecting System > selecting CEC > turning the setting OFF.
- Disconnect your TV from the power source – Press and hold the power button on the TV for five seconds and then release – Reconnect the power cord At this point, test the TV by turning it on and off with your remote.
If the preceding steps do not work, factory reset your television. Continue with the steps outlined in section one above.
11. VIZIO TV CAN’T INSTALL APPS
The inability to install apps is a flaw in Vizio’s SmartCast system. While the cloud-based operating system eliminates the need to update apps or firmware, it also limits the number of apps you can access through its app drawer.
Because everything is done through the cloud, the SmartCast system does not allow for app installation. And, as it stands, Vizio does not have as many apps as other systems, such as LG’s WebOS.
The newer Vizio TVs have a built-in Chromecast, which is a plus.
- Many of the streaming platforms that aren’t available in SmartCast are probably Chromecast compatible.
- There are also streaming sticks, such as the Fire TV Stick and Amazon Fire TV Stick, that can circumvent this issue.
Do you own a Vizio television? It’s critical to understand what could go wrong with your Vizio TV and how to repair it. This blog post has given you ten of the most common problems that can occur, as well as potential solutions.
You can use these solutions to quickly and easily repair your Vizio TV. If you continue to have issues, it is best to contact Vizio for repairs before the problem worsens or becomes more frequent!
There is also a lot more information available online if you need assistance finding yours! We hope this helps, and we’ll see you again soon!
Frequently Asked Questions
How long do VIZIO TVs last?
A Vizio TV will last you about 7 years on average, but with proper care, you can extend its life to up to 10 years. Vizio TVs are great TVs that you can enjoy for a long time, and we’ll tell you how today.
Do VIZIO TVs have a reset button?
The TV will restart and the Setup App procedure will begin. SmartCast TVs may also be reset by pressing and holding the input and volume down buttons on the TV’s side. After 10-15 seconds, a banner will appear instructing you to press and hold the input button to restore the TV to factory settings.
Why is my VIZIO TV not responding?
Restart the television. Unplug the power cord from the back of the television or from the outlet, whichever is more convenient. Hold down the power button on the TV’s side for 3-5 seconds. Reconnect the power cord and power on the television.