If you’ve noticed that some of the buttons on your Xfinity remote aren’t responding properly, that you’re having trouble pairing the remote to the TV, or that the remote isn’t working at all, you might think it’s time to replace it.
Before you go out and spend money on a new remote, you should try to factory reset Xfinity remote first. A factory reset essentially erases all of your remote’s settings and pairings, returning it to the factory settings as if you had just taken it out of the box.
A factory reset may appear to be more difficult than simply purchasing a new remote, but it may save you money and time in the long run.
BEFORE XFINITY REMOTE RESET
Before resetting the remote, ensure that the batteries are in good working order and that the remote does not appear to have any obvious physical damage that would prevent it from working. You can test the battery’s functionality by pressing a few buttons and watching the LED light glow.
If you don’t see any light from the LED when you press buttons, replace the batteries first. If that still doesn’t work and it doesn’t appear to be broken, you can try a factory reset.
HOW TO RESET XFINITY REMOTE?
1. Resync vs Reset on the Xfinity Remote
An Xfinity remote can be synchronized with an Xfinity box to control the TV from up to 50 feet away. If you have paired the Xfinity remote with an Xfinity box and want to pair it with another Xfinity box, you must resync the remote.
To do so, unpair your remote from the currently connected TV and then pair it with the new TV. You can pair your Xfinity remote to your TV by pressing the Microphone button and saying “Program Remote.”
Then, to pair with your TV, follow the steps shown on the TV screen. Alternatively, you can press the A button on your remote, select Remote Settings, and then follow the steps on the screen.
After the pairing process is complete, you can make additional changes such as volume, contrast, resolution, and so on. Resetting your remote means that all of the settings you’ve made up to that point will be lost. It’s the same as holding a brand new remote in your hands.
The TV with which you previously paired your Xfinity remote will no longer recognize it. You will have to restart the pairing process from the beginning.
Alternative Video: Xfinity/Comcast Factory Reset
RELATED POSTS TO READ:
- Why Xfinity Remote won’t Change Channels? (Answered! 7 Methods)
- How To Return Xfinity and Equipment Needed? Read Here
- Xfinity Stream Roku Not Working: 10 Easy Possible Fixes
WHEN SHOULD YOU RESET YOUR XFINITY REMOTE?
- When the buttons on your Xfinity Remote stop working and changing the batteries is ineffective, you can factory reset your remote as a last resort.
- When you factory reset your remote, it will return to the condition it was in when you purchased it from a seller.
- You’ll have to pair it and set it up all over again.
- If you are unable to unpair your Xfinity remote from your TV, you can reset it. This is due to the fact that resetting your remote unpairs it from the TV. The catch is that the resetting process will erase all previous settings.
2. Troubleshoot Unresponsive Remote Buttons
Troubleshooting entails pressing the buttons on your Xfinity remote to see if it is operational. When you press an unresponsive button on your remote, one of two things can happen:
- The LED doesn’t blink.
- The LED blinks red five times.
The first case indicates that there is a problem with the batteries. The second indicates that the batteries are about to run out of power.
In both of these cases, the solution is the same: replace the battery. If the buttons still don’t work, you have no choice but to perform a factory reset.
3. Xfinity Remote Not working Troubleshoot
Check Connections with TV Boxes
- When your Xfinity remote is connected to an excessive number of TV boxes, connectivity issues may arise. Make sure you only connect one box at a time with a single remote. After disconnecting the remote from other devices, reconnect it to the device. It should now work properly; if it does not, proceed to reset the Xfinity remote.
Check Connections with TV Boxes
- It is a common problem for remotes to fail to recognize the device; the Xfinity remote reset option will resolve this issue. There have been reports of such issues, and you should keep an eye on the app if you are logged in to the Xfinity My Account App.
RESETTING XFINITY XR11, XR5 OR XR2 REMOTES
The XR11, XR5 and XR2 have a similar reset process and you can follow the same four steps.
- The first thing you should do is look for the setup button. The location of the button varies depending on the type of remote, but it should say ‘Setup’ beneath the button on all of them.
- Once you’ve found the setup button, you must hold it down while looking at the LED light on the front of the remote. Keep the button pressed until the LED light changes from red to green. When the light turns green, you can let go of the button.
- Then, while still looking at the LED light, enter the code 9-8-1. If it flashes green twice, you were successful in resetting your Xfinity remote.
- After you’ve successfully reset your Xfinity remote, you’ll need to pair it with your devices again. Follow the same pairing procedures as you did when you first purchased the remote.
RESETTING XFINITY XR15 REMOTE (RESET XFINITY VOICE REMOTE)
If you’re using the newest model of the Xfinity remote, the XR15, you’ll notice that it lacks a setup button and requires you to go through a series of steps to perform a factory reset.
- You must use the buttons labeled A and D to initiate the factory reset rather than a setup button. The A button is shaped like a triangle, and the D button is shaped like a diamond.
- Once you’ve located the A and D buttons, hold them both down for about 3 seconds while looking at the LED light at the top of the remote. You should notice a change in the color of the LED light from red to green. Release the buttons once the light changes.
- The code 9-8-1 must then be entered. You should notice a change in the color of the LED light from green to blue. This indicates that the remote has been successfully reset to its factory settings.
- Once you’ve completed a complete factory reset, you’ll need to re-pair the remote with your devices for it to work properly. To pair the device, simply follow the instructions on the original packaging.
FINAL POINTERS IN RESETTING XFINITY REMOTE
- If you have an Xfinity remote with unresponsive buttons, first troubleshoot the buttons to determine the cause. If the problem is caused by the remote batteries, replace them and try again.
- If that doesn’t work, you can try resetting the remote. Check to see if your remote has a Setup button before resetting. Once you’ve determined that, you can reset your computer.
- Just a reminder that resetting your Xfinity remote is not a simple solution. When you reset it, you will lose all of your saved data and settings.
- So, before resorting to the reset option, make sure you’ve evaluated and implemented all other options. If you’ve exhausted all of your options and want to see what else is available, don’t forget to go through the Xfinity Early Termination Procedure to avoid Late Fees.
You now understand how to reset the Xfinity remote! After performing a factory reset and re-pairing your devices, you should be good to go and ready to resume watching your favorite movies and shows.
If you notice that your remote is still not working properly after performing a factory reset, you may need to purchase a new remote.
If this is the case, you can take solace in the fact that you tried to save money by first attempting a reset, or you can visit the official Xfinity support page.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I reconnect my Xfinity X1 remote?
For five seconds, hold down the xfinity and Info buttons. Wait for the red light on the Voice Remote to turn green. Enter the three-digit pairing code that appears on the screen and follow the instructions. Your Voice Remote is paired with the TV Box once the on-screen pairing code is correctly entered.
How do I resync my Xfinity XR15 remote?
Press and hold the A [triangle] and D [diamond] buttons at the same time until the status light on the remote changes from red to green. This process takes about five seconds. To complete the factory reset, use your remote to dial 9-8-1. After that, you can try pairing your XR15 remote again.
What’s the Setup button on Xfinity Remote?
On voice-controlled Xfinity remotes, there is no setup button. To change channels or access content, the XR15 and XR16 remotes use vocal commands. You must pair the remote with your XR15 or XR16 in order for it to work with your TV or streaming box.