When we turn on our Xfinity router, we are accustomed to seeing a variety of colored lights. Normally, the Xfinity router’s light should be solid white, but in some cases, the Xfinity router will blink blue.
This article will explain what this blue blinking light means and walk you through the steps to fix it. So, let’s get started!
WHY IS MY XFINITY ROUTER BLINKING BLUE?
According to Xfinity, your router’s blinking blue light indicates that it is in WPS (Wireless Protected Setup) mode.
This light is normally off, but if it is blinking, it means that you or someone else has pressed the WPS button and it is now active. More specifically, your router is attempting to connect to another Wi-Fi device. When they connect, the blue blinking light should go away and the light should turn solid white.
However, if it continues to blink for an extended period of time, it indicates that the connection was lost and that there is something more serious we need to investigate. One of the reasons for this is a weak signal, so please follow the steps below to resolve the issue on your own.
POSSIBLE REASONS WHY YOUR MODEM IS BLINKING BLUE
- A problem with the splitter. A splitter is used by most modems or internet connection outlets. This splitter distributes the incoming connection into three distinct fragments. There is a section that will connect to the television. The segment that connects to your phone, followed by the segment that connects to your modem or Wi-Fi. If this splitter is damaged or fails to function properly, your connection will be terminated.
- There could be an outage on the service provider’s end. In some cases, the issue stems from the end of the service provider. There could be a disruption or interruption at the ISP’s end, which could explain why the US/DS indicators are blinking. It is critical that you confirm whether or not the service provider has scheduled any services. You can look up any information about a scheduled maintenance service on your service provider’s website.
- Your modem could be faulty. This is yet another possibility as to why you are experiencing this problem. In some cases, the Xfinity modem became faulty as a result of multiple power surges. This modem is prone to losing basic functionality features, which will prevent you from connecting to the internet. In the end, any attempt to connect your modem to the internet will fail.
- It’s possible that the wires are frayed. This factor is frequently overlooked, and it is one of the primary causes of your modem blinking blue. It is critical that users ensure that all wires are securely connected to the modem and are properly arranged. Each wire should be secured in the appropriate openings. A loosely connected cable, for example, can sometimes prevent your modem from connecting to the internet.
RELATED POSTS TO READ:
- Xfinity Router Blinking Orange: 7 Easy Troubleshooting Ways
- 6 Easy Solutions To Xfinity Router Blinking White Click Here
- Xfinity Router Online Light Off: How To Fix It? See More
HOW TO FIX THE XFINITY MODEM BLINKING BLUE
Now that we’ve covered some of the possible causes of your modem blinking blue, let’s look at some of the solutions. As a user, you must ensure that you have implemented all of these solutions in the exact order that they are listed.
1. MOVE THE ROUTER OR DEVICE CLOSER
Perhaps the distance between the device and the router is at its greatest and the signal is weak. Move the device closer to the router and try again to see if this is the issue. If distance was the issue, hopefully the WPS connection will be established.
2. RESTART THE DEVICE
Simply restarting your router is the simplest and often most effective way to resolve a problem. There are a few different approaches, but the end result is the same. Simply go with the one that makes you the most comfortable.
Restarting the router via the Xfinity app is a simple process. Start the app on your phone or tablet. Scroll down and click on Internet. Now, choose the device you want to restart and press the following buttons:
- Users of iOS should select Restart this device.
- Users of Android should select Troubleshoot, then Start Troubleshooting, and finally the blue Restart Device text.
- Wait a few moments until the device restarts and check to see if the blue light on your Xfinity router is still blinking.
- The manual method is straightforward and simple.
- Unplug the router from the power supply, wait a minute, and then reconnect it. Wait for the router to boot up before inspecting the lights. The blue blinking light should no longer be present.
SOFT RESET THE XFINITY ROUTER
If you’re used to troubleshooting desktop computers and smartphones, you may have tried a soft reset as a quick fix. It refers to restarting the device after clearing cache memory and deleting any unsaved data on the RAM.
We will follow the same steps as when we restarted the Xfinity router to soft reset it. The only exception is that you must hold down the power button for about 10 seconds while shutting it down before releasing it. The router drains any residual power in the circuit before turning off.
A soft reset differs from a hard reset in that it does not erase any customized router settings. A hard reset will return your router to the state it was in when it was first shipped from the factory.
RESTART WPS MODE
Restart the WPS connection process. Turn on your device’s WPS connection. On the router, press the WPS button. On your computer or the device you wanted to connect to the home network, you should see a message indicating that the connection was successful.
RESTART YOUR HOME NETWORK DEVICES
Connectivity issues are frequently resolved by restarting the home network, which includes restarting the modem and router. To do this correctly, you must do the following:
- For a few minutes, unplug the modem and router from the power supply.
- First, connect the modem to a power source. Wait for it to completely boot up and connect to the Internet service.
- Reconnect the router to the power supply.
- After the modem and router have stabilized, i.e. restarted, you must restart any other network-connected devices.
FACTORY RESET THE ROUTER
The factory reset will, as the name implies, return the router to its default settings. In most cases, this will resolve any issues you are having with your router, but it is important to note that you will need to reconfigure the router after that.
This is due to the fact that all previous changes, such as the custom network name, wireless password, port forwarding, and so on, will be lost.
- Resetting the router from the Admin dashboard is simple, but it does necessitate some attention on your part.
- To begin, log in to the router using the default IP, username, and password. If you are unsure of how to login to your Xfinity router, please refer to this guide.
- After logging into the router, go to the menu on the left and select Troubleshooting, followed by Reset/Restore gateway. Select Restore Factory Settings from the drop-down menu.
- The router will now restart, and when it does, you will be able to log in with the default username and password and configure your wireless connection, among other things.
- The manual method is far more straightforward. Look around the back of the router for the Reset button. It can be pressed, but because it’s a little hidden, you’ll need a paper clip or something similar to do so.
- Now, with the selected object, press and hold the button for 30 seconds. Release the button when the router shuts down. It should restart and the blue blinking light should be gone.
CONTACT XFINITY SUPPORT
If none of the solutions above have helped you remove the blue blinking light from your Xfinity router, it’s time to contact Xfinity support. They can assist you in resolving this issue, and you can also tell them what you have tried on your own. This will undoubtedly aid you in resolving the problem much more quickly.
Hopefully, some of the solutions in this article have assisted you in getting rid of the Xfinity router’s blinking blue light. However, if you haven’t been able to resolve the issue despite contacting tech support, it’s possible that it’s time to replace your router.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why is Xfinity router blinking blue?
WPS pairing mode is indicated by a flashing blue light on your Xfinity router. This indicates that the router is attempting to establish a secure connection with a wireless device. Then it switches to a steady white light, indicating a secure link between the gateway and another device.
What do blinking lights on Xfinity modem mean?
You don’t have to worry about Wi-Fi disconnecting at random. If the white light blinks, it indicates that the connection between your Xfinity router and the internet is unstable and frequently disrupted. It could, for example, be the result of an ISP (Internet Service Provider) service outage due to maintenance.
How do I fix the blue light on my modem?
While the modem is turned on, use a bent paperclip or similar device to press the button for at least 10 seconds. The modem should reboot, restoring all settings to their factory defaults. If the problem persists, contact support at 1800 834 273 as there is nothing else you can do.