I’d gotten the Xfinity TV cable box and the X1 entertainment package for myself, so we were ready and excited to get the show on the road. Unfortunately, the Xfinity Remote was not pre-programmed to the TV, so we missed the kickoff and much of the early game.
My friends and I were losing it as we frantically searched the internet for a solution. We eventually got the Xfinity Remote to work with the TV, and the crisis was averted.
I decided to write a detailed article about everything I’d learned. So if you’re having the same trouble, these steps will help you to program Xfinity remote to TV.
WHAT DOES PROGRAMMING XFINITY REMOTE MEAN?
The Xfinity Remote controls your Xfinity Cable box, but you’ll need to carry two remotes: one for the cable box and one for the TV. However, if you program your Xfinity Remote to your TV, you can use it just like a regular TV remote, turning it on, changing the volume, and so on.
When you program the Xfinity remote, you can also program your TV while you’re in another room. A couple of my friends claimed to be able to change the channel on their TV from as far away as 50 feet.
Depending on the model of your Xfinity remote, you can also pair it with AV receivers such as sound bars and DVD players.
WHICH XFINITY REMOTE MODEL DO YOU HAVE?
The model number should be on the backside or etched in the battery compartment. The following are the standard Xfinity remotes:
- XR16 – Voice Remote
- XR15 – Voice Remote
- XR11 – Voice Remote
- Silver with Red OK- Select Button
- Silver with Gray OK – Select Button
- Digital Adapter Remote
The programming steps differ depending on the model of your remote. It may or may not, for example, support voice commands or have a dedicated setup button. I’ve included the procedure for all available models.
Alternative Video: How To Program Your Xfinity Remote Without Code?
- View How To Reset Xfinity Remote: Easy Step-By-Step Guide
- Xfinity Remote Volume Not Working: 8 Easy Troubleshoots In Seconds
- Xfinity Router Online Light Off: How To Fix It? [7 Easy Steps]
HOW TO PROGRAM XFINITY REMOTE TO TV?
Use the Xfinity online lookup tool to program the Xfinity Remote to the TV. If your Xfinity remote has a setup button, press and hold it for a few seconds before entering the code.
If it does not, you must press and hold the Xfinity and Mute buttons simultaneously. If you have an Xfinity voice remote, you can program it to your TV by simply saying “Program Remote.”
1. Programming Your Xfinity Voice Remote To Control Your Tv Or Audio Device
Users of Xfinity voice remotes can control their televisions and navigate using voice commands. It’s a more convenient and faster way to switch between channels or access content information.
- The introduction of the XR16 voice remote was a step forward from previous voice remotes such as the XR15 and XR11.
- You can now pair your remote with the TV using voice commands.
- Keep the microphone button pressed and say “Program remote” into it. In the following section, we’ll go over the steps in greater detail.
2. Programming Your Xfinity Remote Using Online Code Lookup Tool
The Xfinity Remote Code Lookup tool lists all compatible models as well as the help documentation needed to program your remote.
Then, from the options menu on your remote, scroll to the bottom to access a unique code to program your Xfinity remote to your TV by following these simple steps:
- Choose your model from the lookup tool and press the ‘Continue’ button.
- On the next screen, select the type of device with which you want to pair the remote – TV or audio/other devices.
- You will be required to provide the manufacturer’s name depending on your selection.
- Following confirmation, you should see the code on your screen as well as specific instructions on how to proceed with the programming.
There may be more than one possible code. So, if the first code does not work for you while attempting the methods, you must select another and try again!
While the steps for locating the code are the same, the configuration may differ depending on the Xfinity remote model.
3. Programming Non-Voice Xfinity Remotes
When programming a non-voice Xfinity remote (such as the XR5 or XR2), three factors must be considered: the setup button, the number pad, and the programming code (from the lookup tool).
Here are the steps to follow:
- Turn on the television using its own remote (not the Xfinity one)
- Check that the TV input is set to “TV.”
- Hold the Setup or Set button down (depending on the remote model).
- Wait until the LED indicator on the remote’s top turns green. You can, however, lift your finger once the light turns red on older black models that only use a red LED.
- Now, using the Numpad on your remote, enter the programming code.
- The green (or red) light flashes twice if the TV recognizes the code.
4. Programming Xfinity Remotes (XR11 voice) with Setup Button
Despite the fact that it is a voice remote, the XR11 does not support voice commands to begin programming. It instead makes use of the good old-fashioned Setup button.
You can do the same as with the non-voice Xfinity remotes discussed in the previous section by following these steps:
- Keep the Setup button pressed until the LED changes from red to green.
- Enter the first code suggested by the television manufacturer.
- If it doesn’t work, try the next one and so on.
5. Programming Xfinity Remotes without a Setup Button – XR16, XR15 Voice Remote
The XR16 and XR15 remotes are fundamentally different in that the former lacks a Numpad. Instead, the configuration is initiated via voice and does not require a code.
However, neither remote has a traditional setup button. If you have an Xfinity voice remote, such as the XR16 or XR15, configuring it to work with your TV box or audio device is simple.
Steps to follow for XR16 remote:
- Hold down the Microphone/Voice button on your remote while saying – Program remote.
- You should see a screen on your TV asking for confirmation to use the remote to control the power and volume of your TV. Without hesitation, select ‘Yes.’
- To finish the programming, follow the on-screen instructions.
If the voice commands feature fails, you can also start the programming manually. Simply press the A button on your remote and navigate to “Remote Setup” on your TV.
Steps to follow for XR15 remote:
- For five seconds, press and hold the Xfinity and Mute buttons on your remote at the same time. The LED indicator should change from red to green.
- Enter the five-digit code that you discovered using the online lookup tool. You are ready to go if the green light flashes twice.
Once the pairing is complete, you should be able to control basic TV functions like volume and power with your Xfinity voice remote. If you don’t see any results, try again with a different code or Reset your Xfinity Remote.
5. Programming Xfinity Remotes to TV with My Account App
As an alternative, you can program Xfinity remotes using the My Account App on iOS and Android. You can accomplish this by taking the following steps:
- First, tap the TV icon to locate your TV box.
- Navigate to the Setup a Remote page.
- Look through the list for your remote.
- Select a TV or an audio device and follow the on-screen instructions.
6. Program your Xfinity Remote to TV to Use One Remote for Everything
If you want to learn more about troubleshooting techniques and how to perform factory resets, the Xfinity lookup tool is a great place to get help and the user manual.
The same principles apply when pairing your remote with audio and DVD players. Now that I’ve programmed my Xfinity Remote to the TV, I can use features such as “Aim Anywhere.”
Furthermore, because my Xfinity Remote uses Bluetooth rather than IR, I don’t have to point my remote at a specific location on the TV.
You’re now ready to connect your remote to a new TV Box, as well as a different TV if desired. It will still control the original X1 TV Box when aimed directly at it.
If you want to learn more about troubleshooting techniques and how to perform factory resets, the Xfinity lookup tool is a great place to get help and the user manual. The same principles apply when pairing your remote with audio and DVD players.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where is setup button on Xfinity remote?
Hold down the Setup button on your remote. If you don’t have a setup button, press and hold the Xfinity and Info(i) buttons simultaneously. The remote’s top LED will change from red to green. 9-9-1 is the answer.
Why is my TV not responding to the remote?
Low batteries are usually the cause of a remote control that does not respond or control your television. Make sure the remote is pointing at the TV. Other electronics, certain types of lighting, or something blocking the TV remote sensor could also be interfering with the signal.
How do I program my Xfinity XR15 remote?
For about five seconds, press and hold the Xfinity and info buttons together until the status LED at the top of the remote turns green. Input the three-digit pairing code shown on the screen. Your XR15 remote is now linked to your television.