Roku is a digital media streaming device that connects to your television and allows you to watch multiple television channels on your Smart TV. Roku connects to your television and allows you to stream TV shows, news, movies, and other online content.
When YouTube is not working on Roku, videos will occasionally not load or freeze, and the YouTube app will not load at all. This could be due to a bad Internet connection, an issue with your YouTube account, or an issue with the Roku device.
You may also be unable to access your YouTube account or view any YouTube videos. These issues can arise at any time.
However, there are a couple of simple solutions to these problems. Here’s how to troubleshoot YouTube not working on Roku.
How to fix youtube not working on my Roku?
Here is how to fix YouTube isn’t working on your Roku, you’ll need to restart it. On the Roku remote, press the home button 5 Times. After that, press the up arrow once and the rewind button twice. After that, press the fast forward button twice more.
If this does not fix it. Read on for more solutions.
CAUSE OF YOUTUBE NOT WORKING ON ROKU
There could be a number of reasons why you YouTube is not working on Roku device. These include a lack of an internet connection, issues with one’s YouTube account, and issues with the Roku streaming device itself.
Keep in mind that if YouTube is unavailable, the YouTube channel on Roku will not function at all. In addition, if your Roku device hasn’t received a firmware update in a while, this could cause problems launching apps like YouTube.
HOW TO FIX YOUTUBE NOT WORKING ON ROKU?
The best way to resolve YouTube not working on Roku is to begin with the most basic solutions and work your way up to more extreme solutions such as resetting your Roku.
1. Check YouTube’s Servers
Because YouTube is an online platform, the first thing you should do if something is wrong with the app is to check their servers. An unexpected error has most likely occurred on YouTube’s servers, and their developers will need some time to resolve it.
You can use third-party sites like Downdetector to check YouTube’s servers, which display the current status of YouTube as well as previous issues it encountered.
2. Force Restart Your Roku
If YouTube’s servers are operational, the next step is to force restart your Roku device. Its operating system may have experienced temporary errors, which should be resolved with a simple restart.
Follow the steps below to restart your Roku.
- To begin, take out your Roku remote and press the Home button five times.
- Then, once again, press the Up arrow and twice on the Rewind button.
- Finally, press the Fast Forward button twice to start the system restart.
Wait for your Roku device to restart, which should only take a few seconds.
3. Check Your Internet Connection.
Another reason YouTube does not work on Roku devices is a bad internet connection. Your network may be slow, and the Roku device is having difficulty communicating with YouTube’s servers.
To confirm this, use Fast.com to measure your network’s current upload and download speeds. If the test indicates that your network is the source of the issue, try restarting your router by unplugging its power cable for 5 to 10 seconds.
After that, reconnect the power cable to your router, and it should restart. After that, run another speed test to ensure that your network is now operational. If the problem persists, contact your service provider and request that it be resolved.
4. Install The YouTube TV App
YouTube has a dedicated app for Smart TV and media boxes such as Roku in addition to the mobile app. If the standard YouTube app on your Roku device isn’t working, try installing the dedicated YouTube TV app.
- Check out the steps below to help you along the way.
- To begin, navigate to your home screen and select the Streaming Channels tab.
- Now, click Search and enter ‘YouTube TV.’
- Finally, go to YouTube TV and select Add Channel from the drop-down menu. Wait for the process to finish.
- After that, open the YouTube TV app and see if it now works on your Roku device.
5. Lower The Quality Of The Video
If videos aren’t loading or playing on YouTube for some reason, try lowering the stream’s quality. It’s possible that your internet connection can’t handle the bandwidth required to watch HD or UHD videos on YouTube.
Follow the steps below to reduce the quality of YouTube videos on Roku.
- To begin, open your Roku device and navigate to the Settings tab.
- Now navigate to Display Type.
- Finally, choose a lower resolution, such as 720p, or set it to Auto Detect so that your Roku device can adjust the resolution automatically based on the situation.
6. Check For System Updates
The version of Roku OS on your device may have a problem with the YouTube app, causing it to malfunction. To resolve this, check for system updates, as Roku may have released a more recent version to address the issue.
To update your Roku device, follow the steps outlined below.
- Navigate to the Settings page on your device and select the System tab.
- Scroll down and click System Update.
- Then, click the Check Now button.
- Finally, follow the on-screen instructions to install the most recent Roku OS version on your device.
- Return to YouTube or YouTube TV after updating your device to see if the application is now working properly.
However, if you continue to have YouTube issues with your Roku device, use the final method listed below to resolve the problem.
7. Re-install The YouTube/YouTube TV App
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:
The final option is to reinstall the YouTube or YouTube TV app on your Roku device. The app’s installation files on your device may have become corrupted during runtime, or it may simply not have been installed correctly.
To reinstall YouTube on your Roku device, follow the steps outlined below.
- To begin, go to your home screen and select the YouTube or YouTube TV app.
- Now, on your remote, press the * button to access the Channel Menu.
- Using your remote, select the Remove Channel option and press the Ok button.
- To delete the channel from your device, follow the on-screen instructions.
After that, return to the Streaming Channels tab and re-add the YouTube or YouTube TV channel. After reinstalling YouTube, try opening it and watching a few videos to see if any errors still occur.
YOUTUBE TV NOT WORKING ON ROKU
YouTube has removed support for the YouTube TV channel on Roku devices due to a disagreement over mutual terms of service. This is most likely why you’re having trouble opening the YouTube TV channel.
The best way to continue using YouTube TV on Roku right now is to launch YouTube TV on your mobile device and then mirror your computer display to the Roku. You can also mirror the display of your mobile device to the Roku.
How do I reset Youtube on Roku?
Your Roku device should be restarted. If your Roku device is having app or system issues, rebooting it usually solves the problem. You can either utilize the menu’s Restart option or simply disconnect the Roku, wait a few seconds, and then plug it back in.
There are numerous methods for getting YouTube to work on your Roku. If it is currently not working, you can try the following fixes to resolve the issue:
- Reboot the Roku device.
- Check to see if YouTube’s servers are down.
- Reboot the Wi-Fi router.
- Roku OS must be updated.
- Install the YouTube app again.
- Test out the YouTube TV app.
- Contract dispute between YouTube TV and Roku
Were you able to get YouTube to work on your Roku TV? Please leave a comment below to let us know what worked for you!
Frequently Asked Questions
Why is YouTube not working on my computer?
If YouTube isn’t working properly on your computer, there could be an issue with your browser, computer, or internet connection. Refresh the YouTube page, adjust the video quality, close and reopen your browser, clear your browser cache and cookies, or try to play a YouTube video in a private browsing session to resolve the issue. If you’re still having problems, try restarting your router and your computer.
Why is YouTube not working on my TV?
If YouTube isn’t working on your smart TV, it could be due to a sluggish or fluctuating internet connection. You could also have a TV that isn’t compatible with the YouTube app, or your YouTube app could be out of date. Otherwise, if your internet connection is working properly, try uninstalling and reinstalling the YouTube app.
Why is YouTube not working on my iPhone?
When YouTube videos won’t play on an iPhone, it could be due to corrupted data on your device or a problem with internet connectivity. Connect your iPhone to a different wireless network to see if that resolves the issue. You can also try clearing the cache of the YouTube app, restarting your device, or uninstalling and reinstalling the YouTube app.