The Xbox One power supply includes a surge protector and a status light that alerts you to hardware problems. So, what does the orange light on the Xbox One power supply mean?
The Xbox One power supply orange light indicates that the machine is in standby mode. It isn’t getting enough power, so you won’t be able to turn it on.
To resolve this issue, unplug the power supply and wait ten full minutes. The power supply should be reset as a result of this. If the soft reset (unplugging the power supply) does not work, you have a few other options.
WHAT DOES THE ORANGE LIGHT ON THE XBOX POWER BRICK MEAN?
The first-generation Xbox One has a large external power supply that converts power from your wall to the level required by the console. Microsoft had added a status light to it to aid in troubleshooting if the power supply failed.
The orange light indicates that your power supply is having a problem and is unable to supply the necessary power to the console. Fortunately, you won’t have to send in the console for repairs because Microsoft has devised some troubleshooting steps you can try on your own.
Get Big Discounts for Internet, Phone, Mobile, and WIFI.
Up to 50% off
Toll-Free Number 1-855-202-7237
(Xfinity, Spectrum, COX, Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, etc.)
IS THE LIGHT FLASHING OR STEADY?
There are two types of orange status lights on the power supply. As the console boots up, a steady orange light illuminates and then fades to white.
When the console is turned off, you can see the steady orange light here as well, indicating that the power supply no longer needs to power the console and has entered a power-saving mode. In the meantime, a flashing orange light is reserved for errors or if the power supply brick is not functioning properly. If you see this light on the brick, you should think about troubleshooting it.
WHAT TO DO IF YOUR XBOX ONE POWER SUPPLY TURNS ORANGE?
The orange light on your Xbox One power supply indicates that there is an issue with the power source.
Either the machine is not receiving power from the outlet or it is not transmitting energy to your Xbox. Let’s look at what the light on your Xbox One power supply could mean and what you should do in that situation.
Alternative Video: How To Fix Xbox One Power Supply?
- Xfinity Remote Codes: Easy Complete Guide View Post
- Not Getting Full Speed With Xfinity: See More
- Xfinity Router Online Light Off: How To Fix It? [7 Easy Steps]
THE ORANGE LIGHT IS CONSTANT
If the orange light on your power supply remains constant, it indicates that there is an electrical problem. In this case, you must troubleshoot the power supply in order to switch it from Standby to On mode.
1. Try a New Outlet
- First, make sure your power supply is properly connected to both the power outlet and the Xbox One.
- You should then check to see if there is power coming from the power outlet. This can be accomplished by plugging the power supply into a different outlet or connecting another device to the same outlet.
- If, after checking the power outlet, your power supply is still not working, proceed to the next step.
2. Unplug the Power Supply
- Remove the power supply from the outlet and from the Xbox.
- Allow it to be unplugged for at least ten minutes. You must wait for the power supply to restart and reset.
- Reconnect the power supply to the outlet and the Xbox One, making sure it is properly connected.
- You should now see a yellow light on your power supply and be able to turn on your Xbox One.
3. Reset Your Xbox One
- Check that your Xbox One does not have any discs in it.
- Hold down the seek, eject, and power buttons all at the same time (you’ll need both hands for this!)
- Hold all three buttons for about 10 seconds, or until the power button begins to flash.
- When the power button flashes, let go of the eject button but keep the seek and power buttons pressed for another 15 seconds!
4. Power Cycle the Console
If you experience problems with the power supply brick, Microsoft recommends power cycling your console. This will soft reset the power supply, which may resolve your problem.
To power cycle the console:
- Unplug the power cable from your console that connects to your wall adapter or surge protector.
- Wait at least 15-20 seconds before reconnecting the cable.
- Check to see if the flashing orange light appears again after reconnecting the power cable.
Check to see if the flashing orange light appears again after reconnecting the power cable.
THE LIGHT IS BLINKING CONSTANTLY
If the light is orange and constantly blinking or slightly flickering, the problem is most likely internal. Your power supply will be unable to transmit or receive any energy. In this case, you will need to purchase a new power supply (check price on Amazon).
If, on the other hand, the light turns yellow but your Xbox One still doesn’t work, it needs to be serviced. If you take good care of your Xbox One, it can last up to ten years. So, if yours is older, it may be time to replace it.
5. Check For Power Fluctuations
Because the power brick was specifically designed to protect your expensive console from power fluctuations in your main supply, it will not allow power through if your main supply is experiencing problems.
If you believe you are experiencing power fluctuations, contact your utility company immediately because they are the only ones who can restore your power.
You can also try unplugging power-hungry devices from the mains. Check the lights in your home to see if there are any power outages; bulbs can flicker and go out if there are major power outages.
OTHER COMMON ISSUES WITH XBOX ONE POWER SUPPLIES
The Xbox One power supply, also known as the power brick, includes a surge protector that can help to extend the life of your console. It powers and protects the Xbox One and has a lifespan of up to ten years.
However, it is not perfect and can malfunction. Let’s go over some of the most common issues with Xbox One power supplies.
Overheating occurs when there is insufficient ventilation in your Xbox, causing the power supply to overheat. The status light on your power brick will turn bright red in this case.
Here’s what you have to do if that happens:
- Turn off your console immediately because overheating can cause internal mechanism damage.
- Disconnect the power supply from the outlet and the console.
- Allow it to cool for a few hours before using it again.
- Increase the airflow in the room where you use your Xbox One to prevent it from happening again. You can reduce the heat by opening a window or purchasing a fan whenever you are playing.
Note: If there is no way to improve ventilation, consider moving the Xbox to another room.
2. System Malfunction Due to Malware
If your system has been infected with malware, you will notice that it turns off automatically whenever you play. In that case, you might think the problem is with the power supply, but it isn’t always the case.
Here’s what you’ll need to do:
- On your controller, press the Xbox button.
- Navigate to Settings and then Console Info.
- Select the Reset Console option now.
- You will be given two options: Reset and Remove Everything or Reset and Keep Games and Apps.
- Choose the desired option.
- It should turn off and reset your Xbox.
This method should get rid of any corrupted files on your Xbox. If the issue persists, you should have your console serviced or consider purchasing a new one.
Please keep in mind that the Reset and Remove Everything option will reset the Xbox One to its factory settings. As a result, the next time you turn it on after resetting everything, you’ll have to download all of your games and apps again.
3. Lack of Required Voltage
Another common problem with Xbox One power supplies is that they won’t work if they don’t receive the required voltage. If this occurs, the power brick will not send energy to your console.
This is a common issue in countries that do not use the same voltage as the United States. If this is the case, you may need to purchase a voltage adapter. The Xbox One works flawlessly with both 110v and 220v.
WHERE TO GET A NEW XBOX ONE POWER SUPPLY?
If your Xbox One power brick no longer works, you can get a replacement for free. All you have to do is contact Microsoft’s support center and explain that your power supply isn’t working properly.
However, you will only be eligible for a free replacement power brick if your warranty is still active. A new power supply can also be purchased from Amazon for less than $25 USD.
The Xbox One includes a power brick that serves as a surge protector and has a status light. If the light does not receive energy from the outlet or transmit energy to the console, it will turn orange.
What you can do is as follows:
- Attempt to plug your Xbox One power supply into a different outlet.
- If that doesn’t work, unplug your power supply completely for 10 minutes before plugging it back in.
- Hold the seek, eject, and power buttons all at once for 10 seconds to reset your Xbox One.
If you’ve tried these steps and the power supply still isn’t working, you should consider replacing it or having your Xbox One serviced. Do you have a problem with the power supply on your Xbox One? Tell us in the comments.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I know if my Xbox One power brick is bad?
To indicate that they are receiving electrical current, all Xbox One power bricks have a light on them. The power supply is operational if you see a solid white or solid orange light. It must be replaced if there is no light or if it flickers.
What do I do if my Xbox power brick is orange?
The Xbox One power supply orange light indicates that the machine is in standby mode. It isn’t getting enough power, so you won’t be able to turn it on. To resolve this issue, unplug the power supply and wait ten FULL minutes. The power supply should be reset as a result of this.
What does the orange light on my Xbox power supply mean?
Constant orange light: The power supply is in good working order and is set to energy-saving power mode.
I'm a tech writer and editor. I love technology. I'm excited about networking and streaming. I'm always looking for new and exciting ways to use technology. I believe technology can be a force for good in the world, and I strive to use it in my work.