Isn’t it aggravating when you try to change the channel and the remote malfunctions?
A perfectly working remote, in my opinion, is essential for getting the most out of a TV service.
I decided to go through all of the available online resources to assist you in resolving this issue and created this consolidated troubleshooting guide.
Check for any connectivity issues with your Xfinity remote if your Xfinity remote wont change channels.
WHY MY XFINITY REMOTE WONT CHANGE CHANNELS?
There could be several reasons why your Xfinity Remote is no longer changing channels.
Get Big Discounts for Internet, Phone, Mobile, and WIFI.
Up to 50% off
Toll-Free Number 1-855-202-7237
(Xfinity, Spectrum, COX, Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, etc.)
Some of these are:
- Connectivity issue
- Physical damage
- Batteries dead
1 Connectivity Issue
A faulty connection between the remote and the set-top box may be to blame for your remote’s inability to function. It is possible that your Xfinity Remote will stop working as a result.
2. Physical Injury
If something spills on it, the buttons can become stuck or the circuitry inside can be damaged. Dust can also be an issue because it can clog the insides and disrupt the internal connections, resulting in your remote not changing channels but working on volume.
Remove the battery first, then press and hold the power button for approximately 30 seconds. Now, with a normal amount of force, begin randomly pressing all of the buttons on the remote.
Using your hands, hit the remote a few times. Replace the batteries and check to see if your Comcast Remote is still not working.
3. Batteries are dead
If your remote’s batteries have also died, the buttons will not function. Here are a few troubleshooting methods to assist you in resolving your battery issue:
- Check if your remote is still connected
- Disconnect and reconnect the remote
- Check if the remote is the right model
- Change out the batteries
- Contact support
Alternative Video: Why Won’t My Xfinity Remote Change Channels?
SUGGESTED Comcast Xfinity POSTS:
- 4 Best Ways To Cast Zoom Meeting to Chromecast Click Here
- How to Use Zoom Meetings on Roku TV? (4 Easy Ways)
- Did YouTube Cancel TV Free Trial? (3 Solutions)
HOW TO FIX COMCAST REMOTE WON’T CHANGE CHANNELS?
Here are a few quick tips to help you troubleshoot your remote.
Before we begin, it is important to note that all of these suggestions are extremely simple and will not necessitate any level of professional expertise. So, if you aren’t naturally ‘techy,’ don’t be concerned!
1. Examine to see if your remote is still connected.
Though this may appear to be far too simple to be the source of the problem, you may be surprised at how frequently it is. In this case, all you need to do is ensure that the remote you’re using is actually connected to the Comcast streaming box.
Try out a few of the other features as well to see if they work. The goal here is to determine whether the problem is one of connectivity or whether the remote has simply stopped working. Once you’ve checked that, it’s time to get to the bottom of the problem.
2. Examine the Batteries
We were always going to say that the batteries were to blame for this issue. However, it is not uncommon for it to turn out to be exactly this. When batteries run low, they frequently do not behave as you would expect.
Though you might expect the remote to stop working completely, in most cases, it will only work partially. Even if you have recently changed the batteries, we recommend doing so again to rule this out once and for all.
Choose a reputable brand of batteries because they will last much longer and may even end up saving you money in the long run.
3. Try reconnecting the remote control.
Most of the time, the cause of this issue is that your remote has simply stopped communicating with your Comcast box.
So, if some of the other features work but you still can’t change the channels, the problem is most likely that the remote isn’t properly synched up. Fortunately, this is a lot easier to fix than you might think.
If you’ve never done this before, we’ve outlined the steps for you below.
- To begin, press and hold down the “setup” button on the remote.
- After a while, the remote’s light will turn green. The pairing mode should now appear on your TV screen.
- Next, enter the code found in the user manual for the remote you’re using (hopefully it’s not too difficult to find).
- The green light on your remote should flash twice after you enter this code. This indicates that the pairing process is finished. After that, everything should be back to normal, and you should be able to change channels at your leisure.
4. Check that the Remote Compatibility
It is more important than you may think to always use the remote that came with the TV box you are using. This is due to the fact that there are so many different types and models of TV boxes available, which can even differ depending on region.
Unfortunately, while these variants may partially overlap, there is no guarantee that they will work flawlessly.
This means that if you purchased your remote from a source other than Comcast, you may have ordered a remote that was not designed to work with the specific box that you are using.
5. Re-synchronize The Remote
Given that you discovered it wasn’t a shaky connection, the problem could be with the synchronization process.
Because your remote is not properly synced, you may be unable to change channels. The simple solution is to reconnect your Xfinity remote to the receiver box on your TV.
To resync or connect your Xfinity remote, follow these steps:
- Your remote’s batteries should be fully charged and ready to use.
- Check that both your TV and TV Box are turned on.
- Set the TV input to the one that is currently connected to your Xfinity TV Box.
- Long press and hold the Setup button on your remote.
- As you watched, the LED at the top would change from red to green.
- Press the Xfinity button on your remote now.
- At the moment, the LED is flashing green. (Please keep in mind that pairing the XR2 or XR5 remote may necessitate up to five presses of the Xfinity button.)
- Follow the on-screen prompts and enter the three-digit pairing code that appears.
- Once you enter the correct code, you will be able to pair your device.
Rather than long-pressing the setup button on the XR15 Voice Remote (X1 or Flex), press and hold the Xfinity and info buttons for approximately 5 seconds.
6. Contact Customer Service
If none of the preceding solutions work, the problem is most likely caused by a Comcast software bug or a technical problem. Contact the Comcast helpline if this appears to be the case. You have two options: call Comcast Retention at 1-800-XFINITY or chat with them on the Xfinity website.
Check that you are speaking with a live person rather than an automated system. This will help you express the specific problem you’re experiencing, resulting in a faster resolution.
BUTTONS ON THE REMOTE CONTROL DOESN’T WORK
If the buttons on your Xfinity remote do not respond or behave as expected when pressed, try the troubleshooting methods listed below.
1 Troubleshoot Remote Control Buttons That Aren’t Working
- To operate the remote control, press one of the following buttons.
- If the LED does not flash at all, replace the batteries and try again.
- If the LED flashes red five times in response to any button press, the batteries are severely depleted and should be replaced.
- If the buttons continue to be unresponsive, seek professional assistance.
2 Factory Reset Xfinity Voice Remote
If your Voice Remote (XR15) buttons are still unresponsive, you may need to perform a factory reset. Follow these steps to perform a factory reset:
- Hold down the A (triangle) and D (diamond) buttons for three seconds, or until the status light changes from red to green.
- The number to dial is 9-8-1.
- The LED will blink blue three times to indicate that the remote has been reset.
- After the factory reset, you’ll need to repair your remote and TV box.
Xfinity remotes are typically equipped with RF rather than IR, which eliminates the need to point the remote directly at the receiver.
RF remotes are not affected by obstacles in the path between your remote and the TV box, and their responsiveness is usually unaffected. You may have multiple TV boxes in your home at times.
However, you can only pair your remote to one of them at a time. As a result, ensure that the TV box and remote are properly paired. If not, this could be another reason for your remote to malfunction.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why is my TV not responding to the Xfinity remote?
It’s possible that your remote’s batteries are low or that it’s experiencing a connectivity issue. Please double-check your remote and TV box connection before attempting again.
How do I restart my X1 TV box?
You can clear any glitches from your Comcast box system by refreshing it. One of the simplest ways to accomplish this is to instruct your Xfinity/Comcast voice remote to ‘Restart TV box.’
Is Xfinity Flex free?
Xfinity Flex is free and included with the Xfinity Internet package. Any additional boxes you require are $5 each.